For a small country, Reykjavik holds it’s own when it comes to the watering hole. There is something for everyone from quite & cozy to posh & vibrant. Iceland has been slowly moving out of the beer culture into cocktails and this new foray is producing some fantastic options. Here are 5 cool bars in Reykjavik & around.
Since alcohol can set you back a lot in Iceland, do not forget to download the Appyhour app before your trip. This handy app lists all the bars featuring a happy hour of bogo & 1/2 prices drinks, some even have food specials.
1. Loftid – An ultra hip bar near the Austurvöllur. This is a not a jean shorts type of bar, the bartenders are perfectly coifed with waxed mustaches and they serve libations from house-made syrups. Decor is like your grandfather’s study. I recommend going here during happy hour as the price of a single cocktail can cost upwards of $20.
2. The Kex – A restaurant, a hostel & a bar. This is a super fun bar in a lively atmosphere with indoor & outdoor seating. You’ll love the view at the Kex and you’ll love the vintage industrial feel of this former biscuit factory. They also do a killer breakfast buffet for about $20. Come here when you want to hang with locals.
3. Northern Lights Bar in the Ion Adventure Hotel – Not in Reykjavik but nestled within the golden circle route, this ultra modern bar is a nice cap to a day of seeing the sights. Great views & sometimes the Northern Lights, this bar features unique cocktails & concoctions of Icelandic origin. If you have a car, this place is worth the detour.
4. Hilton Hotel Bar – A 10 minute walk from the city center with a nice comfortable bar & terrific food specials during happy hour. The crowd is definitely more polished than other bars, so come here when you want to meet other travelers & find a seat.
5. Slippbarinn – Iceland’s first cocktail bar. Yes, believe it or not, cocktails are new thing for Iceland and this bar is celebrated by being the 1st one. It’s located in the marina inside of the Reykjavik Hotel Marina, and some say it’s possible to see the Northern Lights from your bar stool. Be prepared, it’s one of the most expensive places to get cocktails in the city (go at happy hour) but despite the price tag, you’ll love the feel.